Around The Town
Westbury Maze, one of Australia’s longest established mazes, is a traditional hedge maze. It draws upon a centuries-old tradition that still proves as popular as ever with adults and children of all ages. Three thousand neatly-clipped bushes at a height of two metres make up the maze, which has a network of pathways more than a kilometre long. Entering the maze is easy – finding the way through to the other side is more of a challenge. Described as a “living sculpture,” the view from the central platform will delight as it reveals the formal, perfectly manicured structure of the maze. Refreshments and light meals are available at the Tea Room.
Pearn's Steam World
Pearn���s Steam World houses a collection of over 200 major items. It would have to be the best in the Southern hemisphere, each piece having been collected since the 1950s. Its vintage tractors represent the world-class collection of Hedley Shaw who sold and serviced Ferguson tractors, and who acquired the old farm tractors each time he made a sale.��There are over 100 vintage tractors in his collection, all in working order, as well as a multitude of far equipment and vintage commercial vehicles.
Located at the southern end of town, Fitzpatricks Inn was opened in 1833 as the Commercial Hotel. It was the first hotel in Westbury. In the 1890s it was acquired by the Fitzpatrick family who renamed it Fitzpatricks Hotel. It remained in the family for a century and gained a reputation as a fine hotel. It is recognised as a fine example of a Georgian Inn although it is worth noting that the classical portico at the front was added in the early 1900s.
Holy Trinity Catholic Church
This large cruciform bluestone church in the Decorated Gothic style was begun in 1869 and the building consecrated in 1874. It was designed by Henry Hunter, Tasmania's most prolific Victorian architect. The tower was added early this century. The marble high altar and reredos were designed by Alexander North. The organ was built by Melbourne organbuilder William Anderson (1832-1921) and first played in February 1881.