Things To See And Do
Wee Georgie Wood Railway
Prior to adequate roads being built in the area, it was serviced by the Wee Georgie Wood Railway (now a tourist railway) under its earlier name of the North Farrell Tramway. The Wee Georgie Wood Steam Railway is the only operating two foot guage Steam Railway on the West Coast of Tasmania. It is hauled by a 1925 Romeo Mechanical Locomotive used on the Lake Margaret Tramway until 1964. The train operates on the first Sunday plus the last Saturday and Sunday of each month for season October to June. Rides commence at 10:00am and finish by 4:00pm , the trip takes approx 25 minutes.
The railway originally had 3 locomotives, Wee Georgie Wood, Wee Mary Wood and a Krauss engine named "Puppy". Wee Mary Wood was never restored and its chassis is currently in the Ida Bay/Lune River area. Prior to working in Tullah, Puppy worked in the Duck River region of the state and was eventually bought by the North Mt Farrell Co. The name "Puppy" was given due to its high pitched whistle, but it was originally Krauss number 2640 of 1892. The engine was eventually sold to Ida Bay in the 1930s where it still is today. The majority of the original track is now under the waters of Lake Rosebery but a short length of track close to the Murchison Highway is still in use by the Wee Georgie Wood Railway, along with some rolling stock.