Three Hummock Island is one of the islands of the Hunter Group, it sits off the north-west tip of Tasmania beyond Robbins Island.
This island has been described as a coastal wonderland. It has dozens of beaches, some magnificent with breakers and sand dunes, others as small as 20 metres, protected by jutting granite boulders and seething with life. Its vegetation is rapidly returning to natural heaths under the new management program of the Parks and Wildlife Service.
For many centuries the island was a summer hunting ground for aborigines of the North West tribe who reached the island by swimming across five kilometres of open water from nearby Hunter Island. Its European discoverers were Bass and Flinders who named the island in 1798. More explorers, shipwrecked mariners and sailors followed.
There is a small settlement at Chimney Corner, a muttonbird hut at the north-east tip, a lighthouse at Cape Rochon, three airstrips, roads, fencing and a wharf. Seasonal muttonbirding takes place between March and April; the Commonwealth Government visits the island to maintain the lighthouse. Many paths on the island lead to locations of exceeding beauty. The 237 metre high South Hummock offers views of the island, nearby Hunter Island and Tasmania.
View Larger Map
Birdlife abounds on the island, with over 90 species recorded. Wild ducks, black swans and eagles frequent the small lakes behind the sand dunes lining the beaches. A wide variety of sea birds are seen around the coast, including international visitors that come to the Island to breed. Shearwaters (Moonbirds) are a spectacular sight as they return in thousands to their rookeries at dusk during summer. Penguins can be observed making their nightly trip up the beach to their nests.