1838 - Clarendon, 234 Clarendon Rd, Nile: Clarendon House is arguably one of Australia's greatest Georgian Regency style houses still standing today. It has formal gardens and grounds, a tree lined avenue, Italianate facade, restored early colonial outbuildings and is owned by the National Trust. The wealthy grazier and merchant James Cox (son of William Cox) had the house built in 1838. It has a fine reconstructed garden, notable outbuildings and an important setting in the landscape.
1838-9 - Franklin House, 413-419 Hobart Road, Franklin Village: An excellent example of a two storey Regency house built 'on spec' for Britton Jones, an early Launceston brewer and innkeeper in 1838-9. A feature of the building is its scholarly Ionic porch. The house was purchased by the National Trust in 1960, restored and opened to the public in 1961. It is a large, classic Georgian house of brick and stucco. It features a main hipped roof, projecting eaves, 12 pane windows above, 15 pane below. The front facade is stuccoed and has string courses between two levels.
96 Entally Road, Hapdsen: A fine Colonial house and outbuildings established in 1819 by Thomas Reiby whose son was the Hon. Thomas Reiby at one time archdeacon of the Anglican Church, later a politician. The house and its early owners had curious interests of race horses, politics and religion which are represented in the buildings at Entally.Sited at the junction of the Meander and South Esk Rivers, the estate has been skilfully enhanced by fine landscaping. Entally House is open for public inspection.
Woolmers Estate, Longford: Prominent among the early settlers, the Archer family built a number of grand houses and estates in the area. They farmed and developed the land, and built a number of homesteads which are among the finest in northern Tasmania. Six generations of Archers have lived in Woolmers Estate, from 1817 to 1994; it is now owned by the Woolmers Foundation Inc and is open to the public. Regarded as the most authentic remaining example of an Australian pioneer farm, it has established a National Rose Garden, with more than 4,000 roses on display.
1824: Brickendon, 236 Wellington Street, Longford: One of Tasmania's World Heritage Convict Sites, Brickendon Historic Farm and Convict Village was built by William Archer in 1824; the village is still owned by his descendents. The complex affords the a rare chance to see a double storey Georgian brick homestead, convict-built Gothic chapel, Dutch barns, chicken house, blacksmith shop and tool shed and stay in historic farm cottages. There is also a four hectare (10 acre) historic garden for you to explore. The homestead is a double storey brick building with a hipped roof, stringcourse and 12 paned windows with shutters. There is a portico at the front entrance.
Edenholme Grange is a grand Victorian mansion (1881), named after a three-masted barque that plied from the Port of Launceston. The vessel unfortunately came to grief on Hebe Reef at the mouth of the Tamar River. Originally built in 1881 by a sea captain, its current owners have restored and brought the property back to life to offer 8 bedrooms in the main house as well as 3 separate fully self contained cottages. Featuring gracious formal living and dining rooms and beautifully decorated suites. It is currently utilised as a Bed and Breakfast.
13 Claremont Street, East Launceston: originally a Georgian house (single storey with verandah and series of French windows) which was added to dramatically at the turn of the century. Its Federation period additions by J & T Gunn, who were at the time Launceston's master builders and craftsmen, dramatically enhanced the property. The 6.2ha of magnificent gardens are still as they were in 1859 with kitchen garden with hedge borders, lean to glass house, sweeping drive up to central lawn with fountain.