Cornwall Hotel, 35-39 Cameron Street, Launceston: One of Launceston's oldest buildings, parts of the rear quarters are original and date from 1823. It was in this hotel that John Pascoe Fawkner held a meeting to plan the settlement of Melbourne. Later improvements saw the addition of the two storey brick and render Edwardian (Federation) Freestyle facade having large circular motif windows to the first floor and an ornate Art Nouveau facade parapet. The rear section of the hotel is an early Georgian brick structure with hipped roof and close eaves. One window which is visible has rubbed brick lintel and glazing bars (24 panes).
1891 - Albert Hall, 45 Tamar Street, Cnr Cimitiere Street, Launceston: An exhibition building in the high Victorian Classical style, erected as the main structure for the Tasmanian international exhibition, 25th November 1891 - 22nd March 1892. The two levelled hall has a hipped roof and moulded parapet and cornice with ball finials and corresponding miniature pediments. The upper level is plain stucco divided into bays by Corinthian pilasters. Windows have continuous elaborate sills, flanking Corinthian pilasters and entablatures and pediments over. Piers and pilasters in lower level are rusticated, windows have arched tops. Hall has large pediments at roof level above main entrance. The Albert Hall was built by J.T. Farmils, to a design by John Duncan. The hall contains an organ manufactured by an English firm, Charles Brindley, circa 1859. It has been used for exhibitions, balls, concerts, religious and political rallies, sporting events, and disaster relief during the 1929 flood.
St John's Anglican Church
1835-1938 - St John's Anglican Church, St John Street, Launceston: A remarkable eclectic structure of unfinished design, consisting of a large cruciform parish church of brick, sandstone and concrete, built in three main stages. The oldest section (1825) by David Lambe is a naive adaptation of Georgian Decorated Gothic. The later structure (1901-11 and 1938) chancel transepts and crossing, is a unique mixture of Byzantine and Gothic elements featuring a dominant round window with chacery. The nave (1938) is neo-Gothic with Art Nouveau decoration.
Launceston Town Hall
18-28 St John Street, Launceston. Tas.: A fine example of a late Victorian Italianate Town Hall in original and intact condition. Richly modelled facades and imposing two storey colonnade make this a memorable building and adds character to central Launceston's historic precinct.
Construction is of stuccoed brick, has parapet with finials concealing roof, and highly decorative entablature. Eastern facade has a giant colonnade of Corinthian columns. Engaged Corinthian columns extend around the other walls. Windows generally are arch topped and prominent ground floor windows are flanked by engaged columns supporting entablatures and pediments over. Lower level panels between columns are imitation ashlar, rusticated. Two excellent interiors: council Chamber and upper foyer.
Cascade Hotel, Launceston: A fine example of a Victorian Italianate townhouse built in the 1860's, still freestanding and located in the central area of Launceston. It was once used by The Masonic Club. The roof is hipped and concealed by a plain corniced parapet. The building is of brick with a stuccoed facade, with vermiculated quoins at corners and a plain string course between levels. The upper level is plain stucco with windows having moulded surrounds and recessed panels below. The lower level is of imitation rusticated ashlar. Windows have decorative voussoirs and vermiculated keystones. The front door (five panelled) has a simple moulding and bracketed pediment. The northern wing was probably a later addition.
Art Deco Shop
86 Brisbane Street, Launceston: One of the few Art deco style buildings in the city's central business district. This one differs from the others in that it is a double storey shop (the others are multi storey) and features a flat stone-faced front facade with restrained Art Deco motifs on its extremities and in the centre above the centre window and below the flagpole.
c.1880 - Former Rydge's Warehouse & Commonwealth Offices, Cnr George & Cameron Streets, Launceston: A fine Victorian Classical stuccoed brick building built to a design by P. Mills. It features a plain parapet over a bracketed cornice, windows are arched with mouldings and decorative keystones and flanked by engaged Corinthian columns. The facades have many decorative details including three recesses housing free-standing statues at first floor level, including one on the corner.
Bank of Australasia Building
1885 - ANZ Bank building, 111 Brisbane Street (Cnr St John Street), Launceston: The architects were Reed, Henderson and Smart from London who created this high Victorian design in a manner very similar to the office of the new ANZ bank in Threadneedle Street, London. It is a fine Mannerist two storey corner building and a good example of late 19th century stucco work. The upper level finishes in a solid parapet and is divided into panels by single and paired, engaged Corinthian columns. Windows have flat arched tops with decorative keystones and iron balustraded. The lower level has very decorative stucco work and engaged rusticated columns. Windows flat topped with rounded corners. Double front doors in splayed corner with studded rails and raised panels.
AMP Building, 66 Cameron Street, Launceston: An historically significant example of an early commercial office complex, executed in the Mannerist form with Romanesque influences. The building has an ornate and interesting facade of multicoloured stone and blue and gold mosaics. It has a slate roof and a group of fine marble statues over the centre of the building. Interior furnishings of Blackwood and hall with tessellated tile flooring.
91-95 George Street, Launceston: Originally three storey conjoined Regency-style townhouses built in the 1840s, the lower level addition of shops has changed the appearance of the building, however the upper levels of the building retain their original details. It is built of brick with a painted stone facade, has a gabled roof with dormer windows, partly concealed by the parapet, with cornice and frieze. The upper level windows have 12 panes, moulded surrounds and lug sills. Intermediate windows have 12 panes and bracketed pediments over. There is an iron balustrade at first floor level which was probably added later when the lower level shops were built.
Seaport Boulevard, Launceston: The substantial customs house was built in 1885. Its size is indicative of Launceston���s importance as a port at the time. The ore from the rich tin mine at Mt Bischoff was processed in the town, plus Launceston supplied the mine fields on the west coast. Trade flourished, and the customs duties contributed to a booming Tasmanian economy.
Sadly, today the wharves which were contiguous with this building are gone and a very necessary levee bank visually divorces the building from its immediate riverside setting. This building once housed what was thought to be the most important of government functions and currently contains the offices for Customs and Border Protection in Launceston.