Parangana Power Station
Parangana power station is part of the Mersey-Forth power scheme in Tasmania. It is fed by water from Lake Parangana. It was commissioned in 2002 and recovers 0.75MW of energy that would otherwise be lost.
Poatina Power Station
Poatina Power Station is in the Great Lake and South Esk catchment area. It was Tasmania's first underground power station. Poatina has six turbines, with a combined generating capacity of 300 MW of electricity. Poatina makes use of a 900 meter drop from the Great Western Tiers to the Norfolk Plains in Tasmania's northern Midlands. Water from Great Lake is diverted via a tunnel to the edge of the Great Western Tiers where it plummets down a viable penstock line, which enters the ground again near the power station. The Poatina Power Station is located in a massive artificial cavern hence the name Poatina, Palawa for "cavern" or "cave". Poatina was commissioned in 1964, and replaced the Waddamana and Shannon power stations. The small construction village, Poatina, sits perched on top of a low plateaux, 3.5 km from the stations subterranean location.
Reece Power Station
Reece Power Station is at Lake Pieman, West Coast, Tasmania. It is coincidental with the Lower Pieman Dam also known as the Reece Dam. This power station was constructed as a part of the Pieman River Power Development, between 1974 and 1987. It has two turbines, with a combined generating capacity of 231.2MW of electricity.
Repulse Power Station
Repulse Power Station is on the Lower Derwent River. It has one turbine, with a generating capacity of 28 MW of electricity. Repulse was approved by parliament in 1961.
Rowallan Power Station
Rowallan Power Station is on the Mersey Forth catchment, 25 kilometres south of Liena. It has one turbine, with a generating capacity of 10.5 MW of electricity and is operated by Hydro Tasmania. Work commenced on the project in 1963.
The associated Rowallan Lake which is 11 kilometres long and 9 square kilometres in area, is 488 metres above sea level and is bordered by Clumner Bluff (1449 metres) and Howells Bluff (1245 metres). It is managed by the Inland Fisheries Service as a trout fishery; both Brown trout and Rainbow trout are stocked; there are also native Climbing galaxias, Spotted galaxias and River blackfish.
Lake Rowallan is also the starting point for walks into nearby highland areas including the Walls of Jerusalem National Park. In 2010, press reports raised concerns
Shannon Power Station
Shannon Power station was built to use the water from Great Lake before it ran onto Penstock Lagoon and Waddamana. A second power station was built at Waddamana - Waddamana B. All three power stations continued to operate until 1964, when Waddamana A and Shannon were decommissioned.
Tarraleah Power Station
Tarraleah Power Station is on the Upper Derwent River. It has six Pelton class turbines, with a generating capacity of 90 MW of electricity. It was opened in 1938. The nearby township of Tarraleah was originally built in the 1930s by the Hydro Electric Commission to house Tasmania's pioneering hydro electricity officers and management. After a multi-million dollar redevelopment, the former Hydro construction village has become a 120 ha estate that comprises Tarraleah Lodge with accommodation, dining options. Fresh water trout fishing, boating, bushwalking, mountain biking and kayaking are all popular activities in and around the township. Tarraleah is also home to one of the highest altitude golf courses in Australia.
Tods Corner Power Station
Tods Corner Power Station recovers part of the energy used in pumping the water from Arthurs Lake back up to Great Lake. The rest, and more, is recovered when the water is used at Poatina. Commissioned in 1966, it has one turbine, with a generating capacity of 1.7 MW of electricity.
Trevallyn Power Station
Duck Reach Power Station was replaced by Trevallyn Power Station in 1955. Trevallyn Power Station is on the Tamar River north of Launceston in Tasmania. It has four Francis turbines, with a combined generating capacity of 90 MW of electricity. It uses water diverted from the South Esk River by the Trevallyn Dam. Trevallyn and Poatina are the only hydroelectric power stations currently located in the drainage basin of the South Esk River. Trevallyn Power Station was commissioned in 1955, replacing the Duck Reach Power Station.
Tribute Power Station
Tribute Power Station is in Western Tasmania. Tribute has one turbine, with a generating capacity of 84MW of electricity. Tribute was commissioned in 1994 as part of the Anthony Power Development, and was considered to be part of the last hydro-electric power development in Tasmania.
Tungatinah Power Station
Tungatinah Power Station is in the Lower Derwent River catchment area. It has five turbines, with a combined generating capacity of 125 MW of electricity. Tungatinah's five 25 MW turbines were commissioned between 1953 and 1956.
Waddamana Power Station
Waddamana Power Station is the site of Hydro Tasmania's first hydropower station. A private company started construction on Waddamana in 1910, but the project struck financial trouble. In 1914 the Tasmanian Government bought the partly built works and formed the Hydro-Electric Department to take over. In 1916 power generation began.
A second power station was built at Waddamana - Waddamana B. All three power stations continued to operate until 1964, when Waddamana A and Shannon were decommissioned. Waddamana B continued to operate until 1994. Poatina power station was built to the north of Great Lake to replaced Waddamana.
The Waddamana power station now has a new life as a museum filled with original equipment and other displays.
Wayatinah Power Station
Wayatinah Power Station is on the Lower Derwent River. It has three turbines, with a combined generating capacity of 38.25 MW of electricity. Wayatinah was commissioned in 1957.
Wilmot Power Station
Wilmot Power Station is on the Mersey Forth catchment. It has one turbine, with a generating capacity of 30.6 MW of electricity.