Bass and Flinders Centre

Bass and Flinders Centre

Situated in George Town, the Bass and Flinders Centre is a museum primarily telling the story of British navigators Matthew Flinders and George Bass and their visit to the coasts of Tasmania. In 1798 they sailed around Tasmania in HM Colonial sloop Norfolk and proved it was an island.

In 1998 the voyage was re-enacted with a replica Norfolk built out of Huon pine and Celery Top pine. Not a single nail or screw was used ��� all the joints are held together with tunnels. the replica Norwolk takes pride of place in the museum.

Other exhibits tells the maritime history of the region. The museum���s collection iincludes the Elizabeth, a replica of the whale boat Capt. John Kelly sailed around Van Diemen���s Land in 1815; the old clinker built vessel, Kenneth Dickens; and a Tamar Class dinghy.

Open daily 10am ��� 4pm summer; 11am ��� 3pm winter. Entry fees apply.

Where Is it?

8 Elizabeth St, George Town TAS. Ph (03) 6382 3792

George Town is 53 km north of Launceston on the East Tamar Highway.


View Larger Map

Design by W3Layouts | Content © 2013 Phoenix Group Co. | Sales: phone 1300 753 517, email: