The village of Cullenswood grew out of a pioneer farming property of the same name. Christ Church, Cullenswood, was completed in 1847 and by 1851 Robert had secured his nephew, Dr Samuel Parsons, from Ireland, to take over as the first clergyman. He was installed by Van Diemens Land’s first Anglican Bishop Francis Russell Nixon. By this time the Break O’ Day Plains was becoming well settled with some six to eight grants issued in the area around “Cullenswood”.
The need for a town to service these settlers, servants and tenant farmers was obvious and a village began to spring up around the church. By 1858 when a Catholic Church was built a few hundred yards to the west of the Anglican Church, there was a Post Office, Store and a hotel called the Tasmanian Inn (This is not to be confused with the Tasmanian Hotel at Fingal) at Cullenswood and until St Marys established as a town some years later, Cullenswood was the main service centre for the eastern end of the Fingal Valley.
Today the village of Cullenswood is nothing more than the Anglican Church and its Rectory, both of which have seen better days. The property of “Cullenswood”, however, has survived well and, along with “Malahide” at Fingal, is still in the hands of descendants of the original grantees.
The name of Cornwall is also applied to the area in which it is found - The Cornwall Land District - one of the twenty land districts of Tasmania which are part of the Cadastral divisions of Tasmania. It contains most of Launceston (England's Launceston is in the Country of Cornwall). It was formerly Cornwall County, one of the 18 counties of Tasmania and one of the first eleven proclaimed in 1836. It was named after the then southwestern county of England.
An earlier Cornwall County existed from 24 September 1804 until 1813 as an administrative division whilst Van Diemen's Land was administered as two units. It was defined as all of Van Diemen's Land north of the 42nd parallel (now between Trial Harbour and Friendly Beaches), and governed by William Paterson. Buckingham County occupied the remainder of the island.